The Iowa NASA EPSCoR Office is soliciting pre-proposals in advance of the 2021-22 NASA EPSCoR ISS Flight Opportunity CAN.
This opportunity has closed. Thank you for your interest in Iowa NASA EPSCoR!
It is expected that the CAN will be released in the fall of 2021, with proposals due in February 2022. Click here to download a PDF of the RFP: ISS Flight Opp Pre-Proposal RFP
Utilization of the ISS will further strengthen the relationships between NASA and the EPSCoR jurisdictions in the pursuit of national priorities for the advancement of science. This use of the ISS will also open new paths for the jurisdictions to compete for and win much larger spaceflight research projects.
NASA EPSCoR, through the jurisdiction’s research projects,will provide the ground-based research. Proposed projects have previously been selected by NASA EPSCoR for ground based research funding. All proposed projects shall be mature enough to transition to a flight experiment with little or no additional NASA funding. Through this solicitation, the ISS will provide the integration and flight opportunity. There are a variety of laboratory facilities and capabilities designed to support a range of scientific disciplines on the ISS.
The program parameters are:
- It is estimated that up to five (5) proposals may be selected for funding
- The maximum funding request per proposal is anticipated to be $100,000 for ISS Flight and $250,000 for Suborbital Flight Opp. This amount is to be expended over a three-year period.
- There is no cost share requirement for this opportunity
- The anticipated start date may be negotiated with the NASA Shared Services Center (NSSC) Grants Officer
- A maximum of one proposal will be selected to go forward from the State of Iowa. INE will use its Technical Advisory Committee to select the winning proposal.
Pre-Proposals due to the Iowa NASA EPSCoR Office by September 10, 2021*: Click to submit pre-proposal
- Project Summary of up to 4 pages that includes description of value of flying your research aboard the ISS, flight safety, utilization of available ISS resources. Include description of previous NASA or NASA EPSCoR funded research that has led to the proposed flight.
- Budget and narrative
- Letter of support from NASA collaborator
Please follow your institutional protocol for proposal and budget creation and submission to the Iowa NASA EPSCoR Office. You may reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
View last year’s NASA EPSCoR CANs below. It is the PI’s responsibility to read the CAN in its entirety for all restrictions and requirements.
* Pre-proposals are requested in advance of the NASA CAN release in case of internal review to down-select for one full proposal.